Over the next decade there will not be enough agriculture graduates to meet the expected growth in jobs.
Agriculturalists are in great demand because of the big issues confronting the world.
- Food production and security: The world’s growing population needs Agriculturalists and Horticulturalists to insure a healthy food supply.
- Energy production and management: Farms are the site of both energy use and Biofuel production.
- The environment: Horticulturalists are dedicated to making our environment more pleasant and Agriculturalists view the land as an important natural resource that needs to be conserved for the future.
The Agriculture Department at Eastern Kentucky University has positioned its programs to address these issues. In addition, we continue to maintain strong programs in Agribusiness Management, Pre-veterinary Medicine and Agriculture Education.
Our programs emphasize Scalable Production, Environmental Stewardship, Efficient Energy Management, Economic Development and Service to the Community.
Students can pursue Associates (2-year) and Bachelors degrees in Agriculture and Horticulture. In addition, a Masters degree concentration is now available in Agricultural Operations and Management.
Available degree options:
- Fruit and Vegetable Production
- Turfgrass Management
- Landscape and Nursery
- Agribusiness Management
- Agriculture Energy Systems Management
- Agronomy, Soils, and Natural Resources
- Animal Science
- Agriculture Education (through CTE)
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Agricultural Operations and Management (MS, through AET)
Classes are small, and practical ‘hands on’ experiences compliment most courses. The Department maintains a 720-acre farm, greenhouses, turf plots and a golf hole. Available co-operative education internships provide the on-the-job experiences that can lead to better employment opportunities.
Agriculture and Horticulture graduates have found success in a wide spectrum of opportunities in agribusiness, government agencies, agriculture education instruction, finance, livestock operations, research, landscaping, sales, floriculture and turf grass management. We are small enough to care for you as an individual but large enough to provide every career opportunity.
THERE ARE MORE JOBS THAN THERE ARE GRADS (Click video below...)